Over the weekend, Christina and I dyed some of that alpaca we got through eBay. Christina wanted to dye some of her almond colored alpaca to use as an accent color on the sweater she intends to make with the rest of the chestnut and almond yarn. I have plans for most of mine, but I wanted to dye a couple skeins to make a scarf or something. The final count for the dye pot was 6 skeins – 3 cream and 3 almond. The difference between the two colors in the end result is barely perceptable.
We went with Terra Cotta for the dye color. It looked just like paprika in powder form and blood as a liquid. We let Ava have a peek in the pot and she called it “yarn sgetti.”
It took about a half hour for the yarn to soak up all the dye. After two rinsings, the yarn was hung to dry. By the next day, it was dry and ready for use. It turned out beautiful and soft and fluffy.